Policy & Guidance
The EPA has primary responsibility for enforcing many of the environmental statutes and regulations of the United States. As such, the Agency is grantedexplicit enforcement authority in environmental statutes. Sometimes, however, that authority needs to be further refined or explained. In such cases, EPA may develop and implement policies and write guidance. In addition, EPA sometimes issues policy or guidance to encourage compliance with environmental requirements.
Policy documents represent EPA's official interpretation or view of specific issues. Guidance documents are published to further clarify regulations and to assist in implementation of environmental regulations.
Significant Guidance Documents:
Go tosignificant guidance documentsto learn about how they are defined and maintained, and find documents listed by environmental topic.
Other Policy & Guidance Websites:
- Air Enforcement Policy, Guidance and Publications
- Radiation Information for Technical Users and the Regulated Community
Find more on EPA¡¯s Air website.
Compliance and Enforcement
Pesticides and Toxic Substances
- Pesticides: Science and Policy: Policy and Guidance: Science policy issues key to the implementation of the Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA)
- Waste,Chemical and CleanupEnforcement: Policy, Guidance and Publications
Find pesticides and chemical substances information from EPA'sOffice of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention.
- RCRA Guidance, Policy and Resources: guidance documents, policy statements, training modules, and morefor the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
- Waste,Chemical and CleanupEnforcement Policy, Guidance and Publications
Find more on EPA's Landfills website